Well this is a tough day for me.
My baby is all grown up.
No more Tonka trucks.
No more dinosaurs.
No more bedtime stories.
I'll try to get through this without balling like a big baby.....
Oh who am I kidding, I'm crying already.
Eighteen years ago I was 41 weeks pregnant. That's a week longer than full term.
A whole week late!
Do you have any idea how long a week is to a pregnant woman?
After a very long labor, you arrived.
You were the most perfect thing I ever saw.
7 lbs 7.7 oz
I brought you home and my life has never been the same.
You are my entire world.
We have EIGHTEEN years of memories.
Too many to even list.
So I picked my best memories of you.
Things that over the years that remind me of you every time I see them.
1. The sailor suit....... I brought you home from the hospital in this outfit. You were so tiny and cute. I never put you down to even sleep. You slept on my chest.
2. The Birthday Candle.......you're very first birthday. We stripped you down to your diaper and let you attack the cake.....You did NOTHING. You just poked it with your finger. Mommy thanks you for that.
3. The Lion.......The very first movie we ever went to see was The Lion King. That movie will always make me think of you.
4. Love you forever .....I've read
to you many times over the years. I still have the book and I will give it to you on the day you become a father. I still cry every time I read it.
5. Alligators......What is it with boys and alligators? We've been to alligator farms, bought alligator heads, and even eaten alligator meat. You've always been fascinated with alligators.
6. The barn.....oh this reminds me of you and Texas. You've always been a Texas boy right down to the core.....even though you're from New Orleans. You're heart is always in Texas. I'm not sure if it's the farms, boots or cowboy hats....but you love Texas.
7. Cowboy hats and boots........These were a must when you were little. Like American Express, you never left home without them.
8. fish.....you love fishing. When you were about 7 you took some of my thread, a stick and a hook and made your own pole. It was so cute.....and sure enough you caught a fish. You were so excited. You take after your Paw Paw and can fish your butt off.
9. spiders....I can't begin to count the crazy amount of spiders you've squished for me or rubber one's you threw on me.
10. Turtle...Oh you were always finding turtles...and every time you found one, you would name it Rocky.....maybe because we watched that movie daily!
11. Shark....That's another movie you straight up WORE out. Jaws.....I'll never go in the water again after all the years of you making me watch that.
12. basketball.....Upward basketball every year at church. I went to every game. I love watching you play ball.
13. football...you're first year of football started after we had to stay with family in Texas because of Hurricane Katrina. The coaches were so impressed. They thought you had played for years.
14. baseball.....You were the only player that could bat both right and left handed. This was the first sport you ever played. You were too cute in your baseball uniform. Ahhh, MEMORIES.
15. dinosaurs......what boy doesn't like dinosaurs? Your love of dinosaurs started with the movie, Jurassic Park. When you was about four we were in Texas on vacation. The cows mooed in the distance. Your eyes got so big and you said.....DI-SAUR. We couldn't help but giggle.
16. fire truck.....or a FRUCK as you called it. Took you forever to get that word right.
17. skull and crossbones.....how could I ever forget the "nasty bones" as you would call it. Every time you saw this symbol on the menu at South Side Bar and Grill. You were too funny.
18. The diamond ring......It shouldn't be hard to guess why I chose this one......You were four and I was a lonely single mom who just left an abusive husband. One day I was crying and you looked up at me with those big blue eyes and said , "mommy, when I grow up will you marry me?"
This will always be my FAVORITE memory of you.
It's been EIGHTEEN memorable years....
and I wouldn't change one single thing about it.
Thank you for all the joy you have brought into my life.
I"ll love you forever,
I'll like you for always
As long as I'm living
my baby you'll be
HAPPY 18TH BIRTHDAY SON!
~Throw on your heels and get to baking~