Friday's are my favorite. For me it simply means the kids are all going to be home from school and we can play for two days......baking, playing games, watching movies together.
Yes, I have no life and my children are my playmates. It's been that way FOREVER.....and I wouldn't change a thing. I would rather hang out with my kids then go out parting like most of the world.
Don't get me wrong, not that long ago I was the life of the party. Having "shot time" was my all time favorite part of the weekend. Patrón and I were very good friends.
But then something happened. Somewhere along the way.........I GOT OLD!
Well old in my book anyway. Let's just say I'm not 21 anymore.
Although I like to think I 'm young, buying six inch heels......wonder how long I can wear those before I get too old and the only thing I can wear is tennis and ballet flats.
Not that there's anything wrong with that.......I just love my heels. Heels make everything better....in my book anyway. My mother-in-law bought me a picture for my wall that has a picture of a high heel and it reads......"My Best is Always Better in Heels". She always gets me the best gifts!
Well it's Friday and I've got something for you.....
I'm going to give you my sugar cookie recipe!
This is the best cookie recipe.....In my opinion anyway.
Are you excited????? Ok here's what you'll need....
Roll Out Sugar Cookie Recipe
1 egg, room temperature and beaten
1 cup butter, softened
1 1/4 cups powdered sugar
2 1/2 cups flour, sifted
1 tsp salt
1 tsp PURE vanilla
2 tsp Almond emulsion (you can use extract if you prefer)
You could use a hand mixer if you don't own a stand mixer.
I prefer my stand mixer.
This was one of the gifts my father bought me for my wedding.
It's my most cherished item.....other than my heels!
Add powdered sugar and incorporate well
then I add the egg, salt, and extracts/emulsion
Then add the flour. I add this a little at a time.
Do not over mix. I just mix until incorporated.
The dough will be sticky. It does need to be refrigerated a few hours before using.
OR you can do like I do......
I put it in a large container and pop it in the freezer for about 30 minutes.
After dough is refrigerated. Roll out on a floured surface and cut out cookie shapes.
Place on a lined cookie sheet and bake at 375˚ for 10-12 minutes.
**I pop my cookies in the freezer for 5 minutes before baking. I think this helps with spreading.
A few tips:
- EVERY oven is different so times will vary
- DO NOT brown cookies
- I only use Madagascar Vanilla......it makes a huge difference.
- You can use extract, I prefer emulsions. They give a stronger flavor.
- All ingredients should be room temperature
- ALWAYS pre heat your oven
- Let cookies sit for a day before decorating. This will help with the oils bleeding through your icing and ruining all your hard work.
- This cookie dough does not spread much at all.
- This cookie recipe doubles well. I always double my recipe.
- This cookie dough freezes well. If freezing for a period of time, I wrap dough in plastic wrap and place in a ziploc bag. Then I put the bag in a plastic container.